Girls Varsity Swim & Dive
2017-18 Varsity Swim and Dive Team Tryout Information Meeting
Osbourn Park High School’s Swim and Dive Team Tryout Information meeting will be held on Tuesday Oct 17, 2:20p.m. in Coach Christensen's room – room 1503. This meeting is MANDATORY to try out.
Reminder: Students must have an updated VHSL Physical Exam Form and have completed Concussion Training BEFORE tryouts begin.
High school students who are entering 9th grade and trying out for a sport for their first time in high school or are new to Prince William County Public schools must attend a face-to-face concussion training WITH THEIR PARENT/GUARDIAN at one of the county's high schools.
Parents and students who have already attended a face to face training may take this year’s mandatory concussion training online.
- Complete the Online Concussion Training
Note: Rising 9th-grade students and first time participant students to Prince William County Public Schools are not eligible for the Online Training.
Open Swim Opportunities:
- Nov 6 Freedom Aquatic Center 3-4p.m.
- Nov 7 PWCS Aquatic Center/Colgan HS 4-5p.m.
- Nov 8 Freedom Aquatic Center 3-4p.m.
- Nov 9 PWCS Aquatic Center/Colgan HS 4-5p.m.
- Nov 13 Freedom Aquatic Center 3-4p.m.
- Nov 14 PWCS Aquatic Center/Colgan HS 4-5p.m.
Team Practice Schedule:
- Mon Freedom Aquatic Center 3-4p.m.
- Tues PWCS Aquatic Center/Colgan HS 4-5p.m.
- Wed PWCS Aquatic Center/Colgan HS 5-6a.m. (optional/make up)
- Wed Freedom Aquatic Center 3-4p.m.
Congrats to the Swim & Dive Teams for a great regular season! A few details for those swimming and/or supporting Regional and State qualifying swimmers:
Boys Regional Prelimilary Meet - Thursday, February 2nd at Oak Marr. Warm Ups 4pm, Meet start 5:30pm. Bus leaves OPHS at 3pm (required to ride if competing.)
Girls Regional Prelimilary Meet - Friday, February 3rd at Oak Marr. Warm Ups 4pm, Meet start 5:30pm. Bus leaves OPHS at 3pm (required to ride if competing.)
FINAL Regional Meet - Saturday, February 4th at Oak Marr. Warm Ups 4pm, Meet start 5:30pm.
6A State Swim Meet - FRIDAY, February 17th at George Mason University. Times TBA.
Please see a Coach with Questions!
Parents & Swimmers - Please complete the Rider Form to include ANY parents who may transport your swimmer. Please turn in to either Coach ASAP. Forms can be found under the Files Section.
Please view the Parent Handbook (located on the Team Files page) for team information for the 2016-2017 season. Parents and swimmers are REQUIRED to review the handbook, print the last page, sign, and return to team parent as soon as possible.
OPHS is looking for athletes interested in learning to dive this season. The county-wide program includes practices at Colgan for both the Practice and Competition Teams. Athletes should see Coach Christensen (room 1503) as soon as possible for more information.
Head Dive Coach: Stephanie Schaefer (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Assistant Dive Coach: Angie Baker
Updated information is available on Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/colgansharksswimanddive/?fref=ts
Please see flyer for all information (uploaded in Files). All swimmers will receive a team cap and team t-shirt as part of their registration. These will be distributed before the first meet.
ALL swimmers will try on a suit at tryouts (boys on Monday, girls on Tuesday) and will give their t-shirt size to the Apparel Coordinator. The flyer has all other necessary information. Please contact Kim Wiecki if you have any questions (email@example.com).
There is a link in the flyer to our webstore for apparel. DO NOT place any orders unless you are certain your swimmer will be on the team. There are no refunds for personalized items purchased. Review the options, and place orders after tryouts, but before the deadline of Thursday 11/17. We have a very limited time because our first meet is the first weekend in December. All apparel ordered will be delivered to the swimmers at practice or at the first meet.
OPHS Swim & Dive is in desperate need of volunteers to become swim officials for our team. We currently have just 4 certified officials including one Starter and no Referee. Our Starter has not had a swimmer in the program for several years and is not available for all meets.
If you have been a summer Stroke & Turn Judge or are a USA Swimming Certified official or are willing to learn how to become an official you are welcome! There are two clinics being held locally which will cover the information necessary for NEW officials to become certified through VHSL/NHFS. They are November 10th an November 17th, 7:00-9:30pm at Colgan HS. You need to attend just one session. We also need at least one individual to volunteer as a Dive Judge to adjudicate at each dive meet this season. This can be an S&T or can be another volunteer (training is provided).
Please email your interest or any questions to Kim Wiecki (firstname.lastname@example.org), Officials Chair asap. Additional information and details will be sent to you.
- Tryouts are Nov 14th to Nov 16th from 3-4pm. The 14th and 15th will be time trials days and swimmers will swim the 100 Free and 200 IM. Girls will swim Monday the 14th and Boys will swim Tuesday Nov the 15th. Wednesday the 16th will be a mandatory full team practice- it is a day of tryouts and all must attend. Please note- all swimmers need to attend all 3 days of tryouts, even if it is not their day to swim time trials. (Year round swimmers may miss their off day with prior permission only if the tryouts conflict directly with their club practice).
- Reminder- Monday and Wednesday tryouts and practices are held at Freedom; Tuesday and Thursdays tryouts and practices are at Colgan!!!
- Eligibility- Remember, you must have a physical and concussion training to tryout. There is one final concussion training on Nov 9th at Woodbridge High School. You also need to have your blue card at the first day of tryouts. See Coaches next week if you need one.
- Optional Practices: We do have pool time on Nov 9th and 10th and will be holding optional open workouts. We decided to delay official tryouts due to the crazy school week schedule, but did not want to give up the pool time. Coach C will have a workout for those who want one but you are also welcome to just come swim for as little or much as you would like. Please note, this is an OP PRACTICE still, so you must be eligible and follow the transportation rules outlined below.
- Tryout Transportation: There will be a bus that provides transportation from OP to the pool every day. It leaves when all buses leave school and is normally at the front of the line (will send number via Remind when we know). You may drive yourself if you drive BUT ONLY YOURSELF AND A BROTHER OR SISTER. This is a school policy and failure to comply will make you ineligible to try-out for the team. Same rules apply during the season. In addition, there WILL NOT be a bus back from tryouts. Swimmers must be picked up BY THEIR OWN PARENT ONLY directly from the pool. I realize this is an inconvenience to some, but it’s a policy of the school. Once the team is selected we will have a ride form to allow for carpooling.
- Parent Meeting- There will be a parent meeting directly after practice on Nov 16th, which is the final day of tryouts, to get registered and sign up to volunteer. The team will be officially named Thursday morning, so note that attendance at the meeting does not mean you have made the team. The meeting must be that day due to team wear deadlines.